Re: [SLUG] telephony device

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2007 - 20:04:58 EST

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, steve szmidt wrote:

> On Friday 30 March 2007 17:24, Eben King wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, steve szmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, with Asterisk you don't need 1000 for single calls. Then if you have
>>> a card you can use the timer in it, rather than the 1000 interrupts.
>>>
>>> The only reason you'll need 1000/sec is to try to stabilize the CPU to
>>> give voice an even amount of attention. A stripped box with nothing in
>>> particular running will handle a couple of lines fine I think.
>>
>> That's not what I have though. I was hoping to put this on my everyday box
>> without too much disruption.
>
> In my experience of having certain functions like that I clearly favor using
> dedicated h/w. It allows you to do things with your normal machine without
> interrupting your communications (phones and the like).
>
> It's like having a dedicated firewall. Does not matter what I do internally,
> it's still there doing its job. Of course I do have a few machines around so
> it's not so hard. Still, any old machine will usually do for SOHO type
> setups. I've run Asterisk on a 200MHz machine and 20G drive.

True, but I'm not at a place where extra stuff can be used without being a
PITA, I'm in what used to be a bedroom. Small is good. For now, I have a
modem sitting on top of my computer; a script grabs the Caller ID data and
dumps it to syslog, where another script (based on the number) announces the
caller and decides whether to disconnect it or not. I'd like to be able to
play SIT tones at some callers to convince their computers that this number
is out of service, and they shouldn't call it any more. TTBOMK, a regular
modem won't let you do that. An internal modem would be smaller, but I
didn't have one already.

> (Just stay the hell away from USB TELCO devices. They are nothing short of
> wast of time.)

That's my opinion of USB $THINGs in general.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky about who it makes friends with. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.