[SLUG] interrupts

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2007 - 22:53:07 EST

So I was looking at /proc/interrupts tonight, and did some figurin', and
came up with (blank location = onboard):

IRQ driver device location
  0 timer
  1 i8042
  2 (cascade)
  3 serial
  4
  5
  6
  7
  8 rtc
  9 acpi
10 ehci_hcd:usb5
      eth0 ethernet card PCI3
11 ide2 "RAID" card PCI1
      uhci_hcd:usb1
      uhci_hcd:usb2
      uhci_hcd:usb3
      uhci_hcd:usb4
      aic7xxx SCSI card PCI2
      EMU10K1 SB Live! PCI4
      nvidia video AGP
12 i8042
13
14 ide0 optical drives
15 ide1 HD

That seems a rather poor allocation to me, especially with all those things
sharing IRQ11. OK, the SCSI card is barely used, but sharing the video with
ide2 has got to be bad for both of their performances. Good thing PCI5 is
empty, or it'd probably be there too.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about getting a card that needs its own interrupt. Is
there a way to change these assignments? Are they chosen by PCI slot?

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     http://royalty.mine.nu:81
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad