Re: [SLUG] 1280x768 resolution on xorg.conf

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 00:40:29 EST

On Saturday 31 March 2007 01:21, Michael Hast wrote:

> (imagine that!), but Optoma has published on their website Horizontal Scan
> Rate of 15-75 KHz and Vertical Refresh Rate of 43-85 Hz. Is "Horizontal
> Scan" going to be the same as "HorizSync"? If xorg will indeed not support

Yes those are both the same thing. Those numbers are enough to do 1280x1024.

> 1280x768, what would a suitable solution be? Is an XF86Config file going
> to be able to support where xorg will not?

No.

> Are there other alternatives that might?

It's not going to be X that cannot do it. You either have not configured X to
match your h/w or the h/w is not capable.

> It looks as though there are versions of MythTV that will run
> on any distro, so I suppose it doesn't really matter which one I use in the
> end. I know that a lot of widescreen monitors are in this same screen
> resolution, and I've seen anecdotal evidence on the internet that Linux can
> be coaxed to do it, just nothing to inspire me as to what I'm doing wrong.
> Another thing that I find interesting is that when the computer boots, the
> projector says that it finds a 1280x720 source prior to X starting, even.
> That makes me wonder if it's a hardware limitation of some kind on the
> computer end, or possibly a bios problem. Are certain video cards limited
> on what display modes they will support?

Not a BIOS problem either. It does not know anything about what your video
does as the video uses it's own bios. Youa re missing information on your
video and projector and how to configure X to work with them. If there is a
problem at all.

Are you sure the band is not from playing a 16:9 ratio on a 4:3?

Projectors, unless expensive, are not quite computer grade.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.