Re: [SLUG] 1280x768 resolution on xorg.conf

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 02:17:42 EST

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Michael Hast wrote:

> When I have the PC going on the projector, the computer says that it is
> using 1280x720, and the projector says that it is using a 1280x720 source.
> The aspect ratio looks correct on all pictures, shapes, and video, but there
> is a black bar on each the top and bottom of the screen. The horizontal
> sync and vertical refresh are not actually in the user's manual (imagine
> that!), but Optoma has published on their website Horizontal Scan Rate of
> 15-75 KHz and Vertical Refresh Rate of 43-85 Hz. Is "Horizontal Scan" going
> to be the same as "HorizSync"?

Yes.

> If xorg will indeed not support 1280x768, what would a suitable solution
> be?

Why force the projector to accept a mode just because it's native to another
screen? Why not give it what it wants?

> Is an XF86Config file going to be able to support where xorg will not?

You could craft a custom mode, but apparently 1280x720 doesn't exist as a
predefined mode.

Here's some to get you started:

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "SyncMaster"
     HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
     VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
     DisplaySize 406 305
     Mode "my_1600x1200"
         DotClock 120
         Htimings 1600 1620 1632 1652
         Vtimings 1200 1221 1222 1223
     EndMode
     Mode "my_1200x900"
         DotClock 70
         Htimings 1200 1216 1232 1248
         Vtimings 900 930 932 960
     EndMode
     Option "DPMS"
EndSection

> Are certain video cards limited on what display modes they will support?

Sure. Most cards have a maximum, and many have a minimum, and for all I
know some exclude certain combinations of X_size and Y_size. Can't be more
specific, sorry.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person... but