Re: [SLUG] interrupts

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 01:20:53 EST

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Chris Mathey wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>>
>> That seems a rather poor allocation to me, especially with all those things
>> sharing IRQ11. OK, the SCSI card is barely used, but sharing the video
>> with ide2 has got to be bad for both of their performances. Good thing
>> PCI5 is empty, or it'd probably be there too.
>>
>> Anyhow, I'm thinking about getting a card that needs its own interrupt. Is
>> there a way to change these assignments? Are they chosen by PCI slot?
>>
> Your going old school huh?
> I haven't had a problem with IRQ sharing since ... circa 1999

No problem yet, the machine acts fine. Except for mplayer crashing X, but I
think that's nvidia's fault. (Come to think of it, maybe if I got the video
card on its own IRQ...) It's just that I read a HOWTO and it said that when
I install a certain Winmodem (bleah), I should choose a PCI slot whose
interrupt isn't shared with another device. I was just wondering how one
determines a card's IRQ.

There's a table in the motherboard manual:

              A B C D
PCI slot 1 - - - shared
PCI slot 2 shared - - -
etc

but:
1: What do A, B, C, D represent? WAG: 4 IRQ values that I choose in the
    BIOS.
2: It says "This table lists the default IRQ assignments; they are
    applicable only for OS Win98, WinME; for WinXP, system runs in APIC mode
    by default." OK, interrupts appear to be of type "XT-PIC", so is it
    valid or not?

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     http://royalty.mine.nu:81
Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic