Re: [SLUG] interrupts

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 12:52:39 EST

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Robert Snyder wrote:

> On 3/30/07, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> Anyhow, I'm thinking about getting a card that needs its own interrupt.
>> Is there a way to change these assignments? Are they chosen by PCI slot?
>
> No they are chosen by there plug and play information that gets read by the
> bios.

I've told the BIOS "Yes, I have a PnP-capable OS". Does it therefore leave
the devices unallocated, and let Linux handle them?

> So in theory assuming you have a quality card going into the machinesn the
> board is in complete complaince with the at least the orginal 1.0a which
> was released in 1994 you should be fine. Nothing should have to be done
> by your part.
>
> Now if your not happy with this, most bioses will allow you to turn off pnp
> and manually assing irq to your devices.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But this HOWTO said this card would fail to
work unless it had its own IRQ. I'll see what PnP assigns it before I begin
manually tweaking I guess.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

My parents went to a planet where the inhabitants have no bilateral symmetry, and all I got was this lousy F-shirt. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.