Re: [SLUG] new motherboard

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 08:27:30 EDT

Robert Snyder wrote:

> Ok you just insulted me. Did you just call an Opteron an intel chip.
> OMGWTFBBQ(j/k)
> No Opterons are the server grade form of the Athlon 64. Opterons are the
> competition to Intel Xeon processors.
> They came in a couple different pin layouts

Opterons are popular gaming processors due to the 1mb L2.
There have been a couple freak Opterons. Like the I have. I have an
Opteron 165 (good stepping) 1.8Ghz. I have overclocked this to 2.7 with
air cooling and no stability issues. This nets me FX-57 + performance.

> SLi is a method of ganging two PCI-E slots together for faster video
> performance, and you can still use a plain PCI-E non-SLi video card
> though,
> right?

Don't bother with SLI if you don't have a ginormous monitor or aren't
into high end gaming. It only really shines with very high resolutions.
Yes you can use a single PCI-E in a SLI board. I do it with my 7950GT