Re: [SLUG] new motherboard

From: James (penroses@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 19:51:24 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Mathey" <slug@mathey.org>
To: <slug@nks.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] new motherboard

> Eben King wrote:
>

>> How do I tell if my power supply will suffice? Not sure of the wattage
>> ("300" springs to mind, but so does "350"). It's got one of those square
>> plugs, 2*black + 2*yellow, but none of those ~6-pin linear jobbies, and
>> the mobo connector is 20 but the new one takes 24. I have an adapter
>> that came with another PS I could press into service...
>>
> All looks good but at the bare minimum 400watts on the PS. Even @
> 400watts if you get el cheapo you might suffer from spontaneous reboots.
> Make sure you have the correct cables on the PS. PCI-E, SATA,4pin molex,24
> pin main

I have been doing quite a few computer builds lately and find the Quiet
power supplys are much nicer on my hearing than just having a good 400 watt
PS. The ones i find are the quietest are these.

enermax noisetaker II 420W
http://www.directron.com/eg425pvesfma.html

zalman ZM460-B 460W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379004

and a costly fanless supply
ePower Lion EP-450P5-L1
http://www.aicmicro.com/productdetail.asp?id=27550

I have tried the rosewell, ultra, Thermotake, cooler master, antec, and
others but none match these for quiet. I personally want a dead silent
computer or entertainment center, if possible. Nothing like a fine PS whine
to ruin the listening of my music collection.

JamesS