Re: [SLUG] new motherboard

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 18:38:18 EDT

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Chris Mathey wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
>> How do I tell if my power supply will suffice? Not sure of the wattage
>> ("300" springs to mind, but so does "350"). It's got one of those square
>> plugs, 2*black + 2*yellow, but none of those ~6-pin linear jobbies, and the
>> mobo connector is 20 but the new one takes 24. I have an adapter that came
>> with another PS I could press into service...
>>
> All looks good but at the bare minimum 400watts on the PS. Even @ 400watts
> if you get el cheapo you might suffer from spontaneous reboots.

Gotcha. Amended list:

motherboard:
ASUS M2N-E
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131096
mem voltage max=1.95v, socket=AM2
$101

CPU:
Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (65W)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103749
socket=AM2
$124

RAM:
Mushkin 996529 (2 1GB sticks)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146599
voltage=1.8v
$185 ($20 rebate)

HSF:
Zalman CNPS 9700
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019
$64

video card:
ASUS EN7600GS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121008
$103

power supply:
RAIDmax Hybrid 2 RX-530SS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028
$68 (10 rebate)

total: $645 with a $30 in rebates

In the past, a friend of mine has bought a rebate from me at ~70% of face
value. As I hate rebates, and he makes money that way, it's an acceptable
solution. I'll see if he'll do it again.

> Make sure you have the correct cables on the PS. PCI-E, SATA,4pin molex,24
> pin main

PCI-E: 2x
SATA: I have no SATA drives, but just in case there are 4 of them
4-pin molex: 1x
24-pin mobo: implemented as 20 + 4

So I think I'm set.

What does this mean:

SLI Support Yes

I don't see any connectors logically connected to SLi.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81
A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.