Re: [SLUG] Does anyone recognize this file format and how to extract data from it?

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 19:54:15 EDT

Ben Ostrowsky wrote:

>I've got data in a Sybase transaction-dump file and I'm not sure how to
>read it. I think the real data begins at 00003000, with "USTH".
>
>>From what I was able to Google, mt might have something to do with it,
>but when I try to use mt -f txn_sunline_MonApr0917.txn <arguments>, I
>get "Inappropriate ioctl for device".
>
>So -- any ideas about how I can get the data out?

The "right" way is to restore to a previous full Sybase backup and then
restore the transaction dumps from that point on through to whatever
time you want to have your data restored within Sybase.

If you just happen to have one transaction dump file, that probably
isn't going to do you a great deal of good. At best, you'll recover some
data during the time window during which that transaction dump
represents database updates. At worst, you'll get nothing but a bunch of
temporary database changes that don't do you any good at all.

You might try "strings" to pull out the ascii bits and see what exactly
you have there (but you've already done a bit of this with your hexdumping).

Any file formatting for that file is going to be Sybase proprietary.

Good luck.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>