Re: [SLUG] Monitor issue

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 22:07:26 EDT

Chris Mathey wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
>> Folks:
>>
>> This is a shot in the dark, but I'll try anyway.
>>
>> My wife's ViewSonic VP series (professional, flat panel) monitor died
>> over the weekend, so we went and picked up a ViewSonic VX922 monitor
>> (also flat panel) so she could continue working. Since we do print
>> work, the trueness of monitor color is important. The VP monitor was
>> expensive and featured its own color calibration built in. For the
>> VX922, we had to buy color calibration software. (All this is while we
>> await the old monitor's repair by ViewSonic.) Both monitors feature a
>> DVI interface.
>>
>> The problem is this: either when the monitor was hooked up, or after
>> it was calibrated (we don't recall), on certain solid backgrounds, it
>> has "scintillations"-- little flashing pixels in random patterns over
>> a small area. Almost like TV static, but not quite so extensive. The
>> color of the background on which this will appear is not consistent
>> (not always blue or black or white or whatever). It's more annoying
>> than anything else, but it still shouldn't be happening.
>>
>> Does anyone know enough about color calibration software or video
>> hardware to say whether this is a hardware or software issue? And if
>> so, what's the cause?
>>
>> Paul
>>
> Shot in the dark here as well...
> 1. Are your "scintillations" isolated to a specific area on the monitor?

No. Can be any place. In fact, they may be happening more than we
realize, but they're only visible against certain solid color backgrounds.

> 2. Do they disappear in different applications? (I have seen similar
> problems with video ram corruption playing games, mostly due to
> overclocking)

All applications.

> 3. Can you isolate by trying to replicate the problem on another computer?

Not feasible. Besides, the only change to that machine is the monitor.
All cabling the same, everything.

> 4. I'm sure the monitor has dual inputs, can you try the other?

Only one input on this one.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster