[SLUG] scanner not recognized

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed May 02 2007 - 19:24:03 EDT

I have a SCSI scanner. It used to work, before the kernel upgrade, but I
must have broken something. Anyhow, it's like this:

Card: Adaptec something
driver module: aic7xxx
permissions: crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 0 May 2 19:09 /dev/sg0

When I modprobe aic7xxx, I get this in the log:

kernel: scsi5 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 7.0
kernel: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter>
kernel: aic7880: Ultra Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs
kernel:
kernel: scsi 5:0:3:0: Scanner Color FlatbedScanner_9 0115 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
kernel: target5:0:3: Beginning Domain Validation
kernel: target5:0:3: Ending Domain Validation
kernel: scsi 5:0:3:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 6
scsi.agent[14919]: sg: loaded sucessfully (for scanner)

But when I run xsane, it flashes up a box so fast I can't read it (I think
it says something about "looking for scanner"_, then a dialog that says "no
devices are available" with buttons for "help" and "close". "cdrecord
-scanbus" returns

         5,0,0 500) *
         5,1,0 501) *
         5,2,0 502) *
         5,3,0 503) 'Color ' 'FlatbedScanner_9' '0115' Scanner
         5,4,0 504) *
         5,5,0 505) *
         5,6,0 506) *
         5,7,0 507) *

Do I need to tell xsane where the scanner is? How do I do that? Better,
how do I reset the bus number to 1? Maybe it's enumerating the USB buses
before it gets around to actual SCSI ones...

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     http://royalty.mine.nu:81
Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic