Re: [SLUG] Can I load a vmware image to drive?

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Sat May 12 2007 - 09:16:36 EDT

Russ Wright wrote:
> Hello Sluggers!
>
> I am rebuilding some of my web servers and came across "The Perfect
> Setup" Centos 4.4 and ispconfig on how-to forge.
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.4
>
> It seems they also offer a vmware image so you can try it out. Is it
> possible to convert that image and actually load it to disk as the
> operating system? That would really save some setup time as the image
> is fully configured.

It's possible however involved. It would entail booting into the VM and
creating an image of the disk (partimage,g4u,acronis,et al).
You would then deploy the image on the physical disk.
This will surely result in a kernel panic if you try to boot.

Before you boot the first time load up system rescue CD and mount the
physical disk to /mnt/sysimage
then
chroot /mnt/sysimage

edit /etc/modules.conf
Remove scsi alias with BusLogic and each eth nic with pcnet32
Check the /etc/modules on your current working build for hints on the
correct modules.
Make sure you also edit /etc/fstab

goto /boot and backup your initrd-2.x.y-zz.img
then issue the command:
mkinitrd -v -f /boot/initrd-2.x.y-zz.img 2.x.y-zz

reboot..
Now if you are lucky it will boot and the rest of the hardware will be
auto detected.

*note I have not actually performed this ymmv. I have done a physical to
virtual with linux and the steps are the same just different modules.conf.