Re: [SLUG] no sound

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 01:01:15 EDT

On Tue, 15 May 2007, steve szmidt wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 11:58, Eben King wrote:
>> I got up today, and I have no sound. Not just quiet, none at all. The cat
>> could have knocked a plug out I guess, but it worked when I went to bed
>> (TTBOMK) and the door to the computer room was shut all night. (The cat
>> can't open the door, and even if she magically could, she wouldn't shut it
>> again.) What I should hear is a 4.1 speaker system hooked up to a
>> Soundblaster Live!. Things I've tried:
>>
>> The speakers have power, since the "power" light illuminates.
>>
>> The speakers' front and rear stereo connectors are plugged into the card.
>>
>> The relevant modules are loaded, since (IIRC) the mixer won't operate
>> without them.
>>
>> The Master and PCM channels are unmuted, and their levels are non-zero.
>>
>> The speakers' volume knob is midway up.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>
> Unfortunately power does not mean it works. An easy test would be to verify
> each part. Connect speakers to another source. Connect headphones to the
> sound card.

OK, I have sound. Here's what it was:

The power, volume, fader, and some button called "M3D" are on the right
front speaker. To support these, there's a heavy cable that runs to the
center unit (where the amp &c are). The cat had knocked the cable loose in
its socket (reason #147 why I don't let the cat play under the desk). I
didn't see it until it loosened more and fell out maybe a half hour ago.

I had plugged the speakers into another computer, got no sound, and figured
that the odds of speakers and sound card dying simultaneously were
unfavorable to say the least, without a lightning strike.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81
LEO:  Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple it