Re: [SLUG] no sound

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 14:12:22 EDT

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 11:58, Eben King wrote:
> I got up today, and I have no sound. Not just quiet, none at all. The cat
> could have knocked a plug out I guess, but it worked when I went to bed
> (TTBOMK) and the door to the computer room was shut all night. (The cat
> can't open the door, and even if she magically could, she wouldn't shut it
> again.) What I should hear is a 4.1 speaker system hooked up to a
> Soundblaster Live!. Things I've tried:
>
> The speakers have power, since the "power" light illuminates.
>
> The speakers' front and rear stereo connectors are plugged into the card.
>
> The relevant modules are loaded, since (IIRC) the mixer won't operate
> without them.
>
> The Master and PCM channels are unmuted, and their levels are non-zero.
>
> The speakers' volume knob is midway up.
>
> What am I missing?

Unfortunately power does not mean it works. An easy test would be to verify
each part. Connect speakers to another source. Connect headphones to the
sound card.

It's not very likely that the computer got reconfigured while you slept,
unless you got an automatic update service running. But if you do then boot
to a live CD that you know makes sounds.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.