[SLUG] no sound

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 11:58:19 EDT

I got up today, and I have no sound. Not just quiet, none at all. The cat
could have knocked a plug out I guess, but it worked when I went to bed
(TTBOMK) and the door to the computer room was shut all night. (The cat
can't open the door, and even if she magically could, she wouldn't shut it
again.) What I should hear is a 4.1 speaker system hooked up to a
Soundblaster Live!. Things I've tried:

The speakers have power, since the "power" light illuminates.

The speakers' front and rear stereo connectors are plugged into the card.

The relevant modules are loaded, since (IIRC) the mixer won't operate
without them.

The Master and PCM channels are unmuted, and their levels are non-zero.

The speakers' volume knob is midway up.

What am I missing?

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81
         Two atoms are walking along.  Suddenly, one