Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 03:29:46 EDT

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 20:51, Jonathon Conte wrote:
> I do _not_ believe that if I write a piece of software, I should be paid X
> dollars for each person who happens to come into contact with that
> software. I should _not_ be paid X dollars for each computer that comes
> into contact with that software. I should _not_ be paid X dollars for each
> Y data sets my software processes. That is my point.
>
> Jonathon

Wow! :)

I get the idea that you think nobody else should get paid either. Thus
allowing you to get it for less or free. [Please correct me if I'm wrong.]

So much for being a software developer. Or anything else for that matter as
most businesses operate on the idea of making money back after the design and
or learning costs. Just about everything manufactured have a big initial cost
before going into production. This is called investing in yourself.

When you program for a living you dream of making something that can then be
resold many times over. This is called making profit. It's how successful
societies work.

It does not make a difference if we are talking about an object or a program,
or a service. Something went into creating it. By making something desirable
and selling it for more than you spent you can earn a living. If you're
really good you make a great living! Power to ya!

The Open Source Community survives on a mixture of people paying money and
freely contributing to the idea of sharing code and know how. If either went
away it would have a hard time surviving.

You obviously have the choice of donating your efforts without getting paid
for them, just as others have the right to charge.

If someone cannot afford to buy an expensive program, too bad for both
parties. But that's life. Not everyone can afford to buy the most expensive
solutions. (If you gathered 1000 people to buy a million dollar solution you
could probably negotiate something as expensive stuff usually don't sell in
quantity, thus the high price.)

I contribute financially and with code to OSS while I also charge for software
I develop. I look for a balance which earns me a living and at the same time
contributes to the community that helps me. If I could earn untold fortunes
for something amazingly popular I'd do it in a heart beat! Meanwhile I would
also step up my contributions to things that helped me. Like my friends,
neighborhood, community and so on. It's about exchange...

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.