Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 20:51:58 EDT

>From: Andrew Martin <amartin@ics.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services
>Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:32:10 -0400
>

>>Re-read what I wrote. I said nothing of the sort that people should not be
>>paid for labor. However, people should be paid for the services they
>>perform or the goods that they sell. People should not receive payments
>>each time someone comes in contact with something that is an approximation
>>of what said laboror produced at some point in the past. No one works in a
>>vacuum. Anything that has ever been produced has come to fruition only
>>because the producer has been exposed to the ideas and knowledge that
>>mankind as a whole has accumulated over centuries. "Standing on the
>>shoulders of giants" and all of that jazz...
>>
>>Jonathon
>
>Well, you could extend this idea well beyond the music recording industry.
>If you got a consulting gig, writing software for company X, you could
>refuse payment. Your software development knowlege came from somewhere
>else, be it books, or college, or the internet. If it weren't for all of
>those influences, you never would have had the skills to complete the
>project. So if you were really honest you would say, "hey no thanks, I'm
>only standing on the shoulders of giants."

Again, re-read what I wrote. " . . . people should be paid for the services
they perform or the goods that they sell." Where are you getting the idea
that I think people should be slaves? And yes, my beliefs to extend well
beyond the music recording industry. If I write software, I should be paid
based on the number of hours that I work _or_ based on a pre-decided sum for
a given set of requirements that the software must meet. The end.

I do _not_ believe that if I write a piece of software, I should be paid X
dollars for each person who happens to come into contact with that software.
I should _not_ be paid X dollars for each computer that comes into contact
with that software. I should _not_ be paid X dollars for each Y data sets my
software processes. That is my point.

Jonathon

Live Hotmail.