Re: [SLUG] The End of an Era for SLUG?

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 20:28:40 EDT

> Hello everyone Bill Preece here? As many of you know we have had SLUG meetings in
Brandon for
> many years?
> Norb, Diane and I were happy to have had the opportunity to be one of the first
splinters for SLUG?
> One point we even had 2 monthly Brandon meetings? As attendance began to drop to a
point of low
> turn out we discontinued the Bimonthly meeting to build back up the attendance for the
main Brandon > Meetings.

> Once again we are at a point to where the meeting attendance has been less then ? of
the normal turn
> out? I can only speculate the reason to the massive drop in attendance for the meetings?
>
> 1. Linux has gotten that much easier?
> 2. Interest in Linux has slacked?
> 3. Not enough happening at the meetings, demos, and presentations?
> 4. Linux is available via downloads more then before?
> 5. No Swag ? Which I hope this is not the reason?
> 6. Since the live Distros not a lot of advancements for the Average Users?
> 7. Too many Lug Meetings?
> 8. Job Schedules
> 9. We had a Windows hex placed on the users???
10. I went to one meeting 2 or 3 years ago (never again) and Bill Preece was unable to
keep the meeting aimed at LINUX no matter how hard he tried. Most there were interested
in the "links" to M$ virus shields thingies" that he had available.
   Aseterix was discussed, but it appears to be nothing of value to me (I hate telephones,
I'm a HAM that uses his mike to hold his headset) and I don't think I have any use for it
to this day. (It's a great LINUX development!)

   I want and need to learn about LINUX 'n LINUX utilities and programs, not the X system,
I know I'm the odd man out, but I get things done with the command line and preprogramming
easily with no fuss. Just my opinion.

--
    Ron  KA4INM - Please pay your taxes promptly
                  our illegal aliens need the benefits!