Re: [SLUG] The End of an Era for SLUG?

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 17:33:16 EDT

The internet killed the LUGS.

I love Asterisk but I dont want to see 14 presentations on it. Now it
may be 14 different unique ways to enchance or use Asterisk but for
that kind of stuff I go to the Asterisk Community for.

The online user base is so large and so easily accessable that it has
taken over majority of the things LUGs use to do.

Lets just cover a few brief milestones

Broadcom Wifi Driver - Hell had frozen over and now it cures 90% of
the wifi is not working on my laptop problems

Bluetooth is as easy as ever, just as simplistic as OSX and Windows ,
linux sees my phone and I can do everything from it send and receive
files, sync calendar and updates , and use it a high speed EVDO modem.
(Moto Razor v3m)

Almost seemless installation of windows games ( note I am slightly
opposed to Transgaming Cdega we dont need another OS/2 deal )

Microsoft linux threats, while this may be a sore subject for some it
is getting linux more and more press more exposure. Be it the novell
deal, or MS trying to sue the pants off linux companies, linux has
single handedly created more press then any alt os, in a land of mac
vs windows.

The Deathstar UBUNTU

I remember people being excited about redhat back in the days of text
based guis and slackware. But Ubuntu is the first major step into
mainstream desktop enviroment and it shows. It so easy even my grand
mother installed it on her old laptop.

And there is alot of reason why meetings are on the decline it just
not neccessary any more to go to a meeting to find someone who can
help you with linux.