[SLUG] NTP/Log errors

From: Al Miller (al_shell@verizon.net)
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 03:00:05 EDT

Hi all,
I’m working with a company that has Linux Ubuntu hosts in the field and
servers in Calif. We have a few machines that are 3 hours off because the
time zone is incorrect (soon be remedied). We also have a few machines
losing 10-15 minutes per day, corrected by NTP. I have lots of questions
arising as I learn this system, but the immediate one is that the servers
(Win or Linux ????) are dropping events from the hosts that have actually
occurred. Could the NTP reset of the host’s machine clock ‘drop’ an event
on the server’s log if it adjusted forward or backward in time? I’ve been
reading old posts from Feb and Mar re: time drift, but still don’t know the
result of the time adjustments in the logs. It seems to me that some log
error/drop might occur. Any comments are welcome.
Thanks,
Alton

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:01 PM