RE: [SLUG] NTP/Log errors

From: Al Miller (al_shell@verizon.net)
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 21:35:51 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: slug@nks.net [mailto:slug@nks.net] On Behalf Of Bob Foxworth
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:08 AM
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] NTP/Log errors

>because the time zone is incorrect (soon be remedied). We also have a
few
>machines losing 10-15 minutes per day, corrected by NTP. I have lots
of

>Alton

I would think any machine that loses even
10 SECONDS/day is way out of spec. I
just got back from "away" since Friday and
my 4 year old Win machine was re-powered up and the
SNTP client reports the reset was 2.8 seconds,
for an average time drift of 700 ms/day, which is
typical for it.

- Bob

The fouled machines are indeed losing way too much time and are being
replaced. For the interested, the file system is ext3 on the hosts and the
activity is logged on the hosts for later upload to the servers on off peak
hours. My time reset (ntp) idea doesn't seem sound.
Al