Re: [SLUG] Verizon fios block port 80

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 03:21:42 EDT

On Tuesday 29 May 2007 13:18, Robin (Bartow FL) wrote:
> > I recently changed from Verizon dsl to FIOS. The salesperson outright
> > lied to me and said I could still host my websites. I spent weeks trying
> > to configure the new router, only to find out that FIOS blocks port 80.
> >
> > I have been unsuccessful opening other ports that I could redirect
> > webservices to.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Joe Brandt
>
> Violating any TOS that you may have agreed to should be a concern. Another
> concern could be a dynamic IP if you are trying to provide hosting services
> yourself.
>
> Lots of people do things they should not do on the highway.
> Sometimes the police have bigger fish to fry, sometimes they don't.
>
> What makes a good ISP does not make a good hosting service. I go alacarte.
>
> If you anticipate any chance of a legal challenge, pick a hosting service
> based in the state you reside. Pay the nickle difference.
>
> /robin

Yes, it really is easier in the long run. Having in house hosting is asking
for problems. All across the board from the provider cancelling their service
with you and hackers getting in because they are better at it than you.

Once "owned" your computer would probably be used for other activities. All it
takes is you being in the limelight of your provider and you end up loosing
your connection anyway.

I have helped a number of people who complained about things like slow
Internet and or LAN traffic, missing disk space, and it turned out they had
been owned and were now hosting hacking tools for the hacking community.

(Hehe, I know this idiot who put up this nice little sharing program on his
employers server inside their firewall. It got loaded with a certain type of
images, which then got hosted to the world. Which caused some interesting
traffic patterns which was picked up by the admin. All nicely done inside the
firewall on their LAN.)

It's true that it has a certain flare to host your own server. But it's far
more economical and EASY in the long run to pay for it.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.