Re: [SLUG] Verizon fios

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 10:33:35 EDT

Ron Youvan wrote:

>> Sucks about the "no servers" rule, but webhosting can easily be
>> gotten cheap or free elsewhere. Downloading a gigabyte file in less
>> than 10 minutes sounds great. I can't even do that at work.
>

> At work I share a T-1 connection with several hundreds of fellow
> workers, it really sucks when someone downloads something big it can
> take me over a minute to get the google splash page once and a while.
> (it sucks more when the exchange server is unreachable)

My work "desktop" is a NoMachine FreeNX server on a Xen domU at Peak10.

FreeNX lets me "float" my desktop there, allowing for total unrestricted
bandwidth access to our huge bandwidth peerings.

It doesn't matter if I'm at work, at home, or anywhere else for that
matter. Even on an ISDN BRI speed connection, I get an interactive
desktop with huge bandwidth peering speeds. Downloads are limited by the
speed of the upstream server.

The biggest pains I've experienced thus far are:
- Switching between NXClient platforms. Linux nxclient sessions aren't
resumable by Mac nxclient aren't resumable by Windows nxclient. There
are Xserver capabilities (XRender, etc) and bit-depth issues that throw
a wrench into the works.
- Mac OS/X X11 copy and paste is painfully broken.
- Sound is spotty, at best. Even when it does work, it's a bandwith hog,
and is generally choppy.

Other than that, though, I couldn't be happier.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com