Re: [SLUG] Real World Class 3D modeler for Linux

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 14:25:06 EDT

On 6/8/07, Ken Elliott <kelliott11@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >> If you can design tanks with it you can design anything with it.
>
> Far from it. Tanks are simple geometry. Streight edges, flat sides, etc.
> Items with smooth curved surfaces are much more difficult. Think car
> bodies, boats, consumer goods.
>
> Compare the Stealth Figher vs. the B2 Stealth Bommer. The figher is all
> flat sides due to the limitations of the software and cpu horsepower used at
> the time. NURBS and fast computers allowed for the complex calculations
> required for a complex curved surfaces.
>
> But if you disagree, that's fine. I've only been using CAD systems for 25
> years and I could be wrong...

The flat surfaces on the stealth fighter are set in such a way as to scatter
radar and reduce the reflectivity of the fighter, that is why it is
like that not
due to the design limitations. It is all about radar signatures and those flat
faces are set in such a way to make it hard to get a good primary return off
of the aircraft.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;