Re: [SLUG] DVD iso - Help

From: Robin \(Bartow FL\) (suncoastlug.mailbox@gibp.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 08:23:50 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Elliott kelliott11@cfl.rr.com
To: slug@nks.net
Sent: 6/7/07 6:43 PM
Subject: RE: [SLUG] DVD iso - Help

> I'd go into the BIOS setup and see what drives appear. That might be the
> clue that helps you understand what is going on.
>
> Next, I'd follow Robin's suggestion and boot from a CD-based distro.
>
> I'm a bit foggy, but it seems like I had a system that worked oddly when the
> CD writer was connected as the master to the second ATA port (one HDD on the
> first port). When I moved it to the first port as a slave, it worked fine.
>

> Ken Elliott
>
> =====================

If my memory serves me well, Direct Memory Access (DMA) could also be an issue if BIOS is not set to auto detect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Memory_Access

Even though he has a DVD burner (which is newer technology) he may be using it on a port along with a device that is not capable of DMA. If I understood correctly, he said other burning applications work fine. Those apps may handle IO differently.

Anyway, BIOS auto detection of devices on a port is much more reliable than human influence.

http://slug.archives.nks.net/List/slug.archive.0706/0008.html
K3B is saying that iso is greater than 4 gb so will not burn iso.
iso is 4.3 GB disk is 4.7 GB.
Currently trying to use following command but am getting error
[trunk@localhost ~]$
 growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/home/trunk/tmp/mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso
 :-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=2h/ASC=3Ah/ACQ=01h]: No medium found

What is confusing here is that k3b says there is not enough room on the medium and the command line is saying there is no medium. If the index of the medium is corrupt from a previous attempt to write, hey guess what... "lets play knock-knock" our heads against the wall.

If hardware jumpers and BIOS parameters are legit... and a fresh install of k3b does not correct the issue...
A live distro should be able to recognize what hardware is there and adjust to what each device requires.

/robin