RE: [SLUG] wine?

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 09 2007 - 23:56:12 EDT

>From: "William Coulter" <wrcoulter33@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] wine?
>Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 15:11:34 -0400
>
>I am running Ubuntu 7.04 and am wanting to play a few games. I have Diablo
>II and Civilization III. They are what I love to play. I would like to
>play Civilization IV as well but I will have to buy it first. I think that
>I installed all of the wine stuff but don't know how to install or what to
>do next. Where should I go for more help or can anyone give me a hand?
>
>William

First of all, wine is most easy to use on the 32-bit i386 version of Ubuntu
(because that is the platform for which most Windows programs are compiled).
Hopefully that is what you are running.

Once wine is installed, (sudo apt-get install wine), run winecfg, click on
the drives tab, select autodetect and click ok. This will ensure that all
areas of your filesystem are assigned drive letters by the fake Windows
install so that everything on your HDD will be accessible to the Windows
programs.

By default, wine will create a directory named .wine in your home directory.
This directory will contain a directory named drive_c which will be used to
represent the c: drive for any Windows programs which try to read or write
to c:.

When running a program (or its installer), wine will accept a few formats:
wine /absolute/unix/path/to/app.exe
wine relative/unix/path/to/app.exe
wine "c:\windows\path\to\app.exe" (e.g. c:\Program Files\Foo\Bar.exe)

To run a program (or its installer) from a CD:
Insert the installation disc, open a terminal, change to the directory where
the disc is automatically mounted (probably /media/cdrom0) and look at the
CD's contents (type ls). You need to find out what the name of the installer
executable is. It may be in the root of the CD or in one of its
subdirectories. If you see an autorun.inf file, display its contents (cat
autorun.inf) to see what runs by default when the CD is inserted in Windows.

For example, if the program on the CD is named Setup.exe and is in your
current working directory, this is one way to launch it:
wine Setup.exe

Hopefully the installer will run without problems. If you get into trouble,
you may need to play with winecfg in order to iron out any wrinkles with the
program. If the installer has multiple CDs and you are not able to change
them during the installation, you may need to copy the contents of the CDs
to directories like ~/disk1, ~/disk2, etc., make a link to the directory
containing the contents of the first CD (ln -s ~/disk1 ~/disk), then run the
installer from the disk directory. When it asks for the second disk, just
point the link at the new directory (ln -sf ~/disk2 ~/disk) and hopefully
the installer will continue.

Good luck with it.
Jonathon