Re: [SLUG] DIY laptop

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 21:24:28 EDT

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, xcalibre wrote:

> With Laptops a huge problem is Batteries... I can tell you with a generic
> your screwed... When I worked at Walter Industries we ordered a Laptop
> that even got a write up in a PC Magazine... I never even heard of the
> Brand Before the Article... They gave it ranting reviews... I told my Boss
> I would rather spend the $75.00 difference and stick to Dell...
>
> Well he goes yeah but we can get this one cheaper and with Another Battery...

> Well he did not look at the whole picture... First nothing mentioned about
> product support and warranty...
>
> Next not being a Major Name you have limited options...
>
> We get the Laptop the shipping was not mentioned... $45.00 Next they
> supposedly ran out of the Lithium Batteries... So we only got the main
> Battery and the other was on back order...
>
> 2 Months later the main Battery starts to loose it's charge faster and
> faster... We call the Company and they were out of Business? Next we then
> call every Battery Place listed on the Web no one and I mean no one could
> match it... Batteries Plus especially... Next I kept calling over 38
> places...
>
> 2 Places say well send us the Battery you have and we can rebuild it...
> $120.00 plus Shipping both ways... Also no promise on how long it will
> work... My Boss goes ahead an send it out... 3 Weeks pass no word we call
> them I get this guy on the phone ummmm we have a problem?
>
> The problem is we could not get these Cells it uses anymore... Also we had
> to crack the Circuit for the Smart Circiut... This is the little lights
> telling you how much charge you have...
>
> Then he says well we can send it back... So we now spent almost $160.00 trying to get the battery fixed... Now it's broke and it was taped back together...
>
> We could not put it back in... I called the other place to rebuild it...
> The guy ask does it have a smart circuit yes it does... He goes quiet they
> comes back well it may not work after we rebuild it... I tell him what
> happened already.. Then he says oh BP could not rebuild it? No Sorry that
> is where we get our parts from...
>
> Now about 6 weeks with this thing the Screen starts to cut out... Now we
> have to hook it up to a Monitor... Shortly later the Ac Adapter starts to
> go out...
>
> I spent 4 more weeks trying to do something with this $1200.00 POS...
>
> I finally found out it was made by Chinnon... Out of the Rep.of China...
> They me the unit was a limited run and no parts were left for it... How
> ever for $800.00 they would replace it with a newer model and eat the
> $400.00 difference for the problems we had with it...
>
> Next day I ordered a Dell Inspiron...
>
> So save your self grief get a Name Brand Laptop... It would be different
> it everything was a standard parts like a Desktop Clone... They are not
> and for this alone after that hassle I wouldn't bother with a DIY...

I ordered her a Toshiba Satellite A200 tonight.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?seg=HHO&poid=379367&fgpn=PSAF0U-05901L

Laptop was $935 + tax.

I'm not really worried about it being by Fly-By-Night Industries, Ltd..; I
mean Asus is a (relatively) big name. But I couldn't see the benefit of
paying extra for what I'd get, and since it's for a non-geeky person,
"stable" is more important than the thrill of building it yourself.

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     http://royalty.mine.nu:81
Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic