Re: [SLUG] research: do we still need LUGs?

From: Michael Fisher (desnotes@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2007 - 14:04:18 EDT

I think there is still a need for LUGS and have been disappointed at the
attendance and the interest in the Tampa SLUG meetings I attended. Despite
the trend that Linux is easier to install/use and basic information is at
our fingertips, what about discussion of new ideas regarding Linux OS and
Linux applications?

I personally do not believe that all possible modifications for Linux OS are
exhausted and I think everyone would agree that there is still a need for
more applications. If Linux distributions had 50%+ market share there would
still be a need for applications.

I have my own idea for a FOSS project that I am pursuing. I have had no
success in trying to find anyone interested in collaborating, let alone
anyone with any specialized experience.

Maybe the big projects like Debian, Ubuntu, OpenOffice, etc. are drawing
most of the individuals and there is no longer interest in LUGS, but I hope
this is not so.

Michael Fisher
desNotes@gmail.com