Re: [SLUG] research: do we still need LUGs?

From: Robert Waldo (rjw6844@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2007 - 14:50:13 EDT

I believe the modern Linux Distribution has passed the mark of being a
"hobby" to a mainstream OS with plenty of support material on the Internet.
Both, Linux and the Internet, have matured and are credible alternatives
sources of information gathering. Instead of going to the Library for
information, we jump on the Internet and save time. I bet if you do a trend
analysis of library usage it would be inversely proportional to usage on the
Internet. Similarly, why go to a LUG to get info, when each distro has it's
own wiki and user's forum.
The reason to have meetings is to be social. Everybody is social. Although
I have no basis of fact, Linux aficionados are probably less social because
we would rather break and fix stuff compared to the typical computer newbie
who needs hand holding to set up their Outlook Express to get email.
The need for LUGs is still present, but I think the beast has matured. Like
a family that grows, each distro has it's specific likes and personality.
Perhaps we should re-organize based on skill level or distribution.
Personally, I think Ubuntu is fine for a beginner, I prefer Fedora and
Slackware because they're more customizable.
Distrowatch had a good article last month about distro hopping trends:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070611#feature which underscores
the need for LUGs - people need info and person hands-on training to further
their Linux knowledge.
I think we need much discussion on this.