Re: [SLUG] connection sharing without a router

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2007 - 12:35:52 EDT

chris lee wrote:
> the current craptastic router i have only allow 32 rules and dont
> allow port ranges.
>
> so i get to only open 32 ports TOTAL.
>
> i want to make that win32 system have no restrictions, any port it
> wants it gets, so i need to open all of them.

Make your setup as simple as possible. You don't want craptastic
spreading from just your router to your whole setup.

I used to be an advocate of using an old PC as a dedicated firewall
\router. That was cool when I used live with my parents paying the
electric bill. :) lol

A small SOHO router costs $50 and uses only a couple watts. 6 mo of
electricity to run crappy PC firewall ..$50

Get get a Linksys WRT54G. Load DD-WRT on it (there are others images
that are good as well) http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

If you don't have $50 you can get a cheaper router or possibly the one
you have has the "DMZ host" feature.
  Most off the shelf routers I have seen have this feature. It will
forward all inbound traffic to the IP address specified. Just make sure
you have a host based firewall installed.

Oh and one more question..
What kind of ridiculous ISP connection do you have that can run game
server(s)? I have 2mb upstream and 1 32 player Battlefield 2 server
would saturate the connection. I believe FIOS currently is the upstream
BW residential king and you might get a couple game server on that.

-Chris