Re: [SLUG] connection sharing without a router

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2007 - 12:32:52 EDT

On 7/8/07, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 July 2007 10:47, chris lee wrote:
> > i need the incoming for running my game server and for BT
>
> Ah, I suspected as much.
>
> Having been an admin for a large clan and hosted many games in the past I know
> the pain you feel. The first thing to know is that as a game server you face
> an additional risk as it will attract more hack attempts. Then it's just a
> matter of how good they are.
>
> Next I should point out that many games end up having a linux server version
> so that makes things easier.
>
> What I did is use an old computer as my firewall. This way I have full control
> of what it does. (Again I use OpenBSD so there are a number of advantages
> over iptables.) But I added port definitions for each type of game and could
> just add or remove # to open up ports for that game.
>
> The problem you face is no doubt not knowing which ports a particular game
> uses. Once again OpenBSD does a fine job with that by telling me which ports
> are being accessed. Then I simply add them to my configuration.
>
> You can do it with iptables as well so all you need to do is learn what
> commands to execute to identify them. But you'd still require a computer to
> act as the firewall. The small routers you buy these days are crippled in
> many ways but have a nice web gui. If you just venture past that you'd be
> sitting pretty.

Do not forget the linux software that you can load on some of those routers.
I have a LinkSys that had a short list for port mapping, I pulled down one
of the Linux solutions and loaded it into the router now I have as many ports
as I need plenty left over. Linux takes some of those cheap routers and
turns them into something that is worth the time and money. I have picked
the good ones up for $25.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;