RE: [SLUG] Tampa OSS Event

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 11:53:27 EDT

>From: steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] Tampa OSS Event
>Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:12:24 -0400
>
>Hi,
>
>A list is made available to those who wish to contribute to the discussions
>on
>starting an annual OSS event in Tampa. The purpose is to educate the
>professional and general public about the advantages with Open Source.
>
>This is not a small undertaking and will require some dedicated efforts.
>However, we think it's a worth while cause which will bring a lot of
>positive
>opportunities for all.
>
>The subscription page which basically repeat the above can be found at:

>Alternatively you can send an email with subscibe in your subject line to:
>
> oss-events-requests@lists.callcentersg.com
>
>All are welcome to contribute!
>
>--
>
>Steve Szmidt

So there is a desire to start an annual event to educate the community about
the advantages of open source. Hmmm, why does this sound so familiar...
<cough>http://softwarefreedomday.org/>.

I'm curious to know if the phrase "open source" is deliberately used to
include and promote software that might not be considered to be free (libre)
software. If the intention is in fact to promote only software that falls
under the FSF's definition of free, why not just build on the momentum of
Software Freedom Day to do an event in Florida? It would be worthwhile to
use the worldwide effort as a springboard for the publicity alone. Plus, if
the local vision is shared by thousands of others all over the world, why
duplicate effort to achieve the same goal?

Jonathon