Re: [SLUG] Tampa OSS Event

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 22:59:13 EDT

> I'm curious to know if the phrase "open source" is deliberately used to
> include and promote software that might not be considered to be free
> (libre) software.

Do you just like to try to put people down for your personal enjoyment? Or
judging before the fact?

It means exactly what it says.

> If the intention is in fact to promote only software that
> falls under the FSF's definition of free, why not just build on the
> momentum of Software Freedom Day to do an event in Florida? It would be
> worthwhile to use the worldwide effort as a springboard for the publicity
> alone. Plus, if the local vision is shared by thousands of others all over
> the world, why duplicate effort to achieve the same goal?
>
> Jonathon

That could be a valid point. SFD may or may not fit into everyones ideas,
certainly too early for me to tell. The group will decide to promote a
different event, which might end up being in the early part of the year, or
not.

What I do know is that more Linux events can generate more interest.
Personally, I don't see a reason for only having one event a year. I know a
number of people will be very busy on the west coast in September.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.