Re: [SLUG] Newbie Sysadmin's Journal

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 01:10:36 EDT

Chris Mathey wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
>> Folks:
>>
>> I've been doing Linux for ten years now, but there are certain gaps in
>> my knowledge, just because I don't need to mess with certain parts of
>> Linux.
>>
>> Long story short, I now have a need to learn how to build an internet
>> web server from scratch. I've signed up with johncompanies.com for a
>> virtual server account on which I can host other websites. The server
>> "instance" I picked out is a Debian machine to which I have ssh
>> access. Now I have to learn Bind, Apache, Postfix, iptables, and all
>> the other stuff you have to know to run an internet hosting service.
>>
>> (Why johncompanies.com? They won the 2006 Linux Journal Best Hosting
>> Company award. Decent pricing, knowledgeable tech support.)
>>
>> So I'm busy looking up things, reading books and man pages. And
>> keeping track of what I do, so I don't forget later.
>>
>> My question is whether you might be interested in this as well. If so,
>> I'll put up a page somewhere, so you can look over what I've found and
>> learn some things yourself, or comment on where I've made mistakes.
>> This won't be an every day thing. I'll contribute journal entries as I
>> have time.
>>
>> Let me know if you're interested.
>>
>> Paul
> I am interested.
> I am also interested to help where I can as well.

I'd appreciate that.

> I currently have a VPS running @ vpsland.com running all of the above.
>
> It would help to focus on saving memory. For example, lighttpd
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighttpd) instead of Apache. I used it
> currently to run squirrelmail which is php based webmail. Works fast
> and flawlessly.
>
> You will also want to set up amavisd-new and clamav for spam\virus
> filtering for postfix.
>
> I find these perfect setup guides as they are very intuitive.
> Here is one for Debian Etch (which I see is what johncompanies is offering)
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch?s=04090aedb4a47b9ba3407539be6ad4e5&

Good reference, though it's pretty light on *why* you do these things.
On the other hand, it mentions ISPConfig, which I hadn't thought about.
This came up on the list at one time and someone who runs a hosting
service (Rich Morgan?) didn't think much of it. I didn't need it at the
time, so I didn't think much about it after that. But it sure would make
things easier.

On the other hand, a control panel like ISPConfig would obviate some of
the stuff I need to learn, since it would do a lot of those things for me.

I've looked at some of the docs for ISPConfig. I understand why Debian
doesn't offer it. It wants to install on a "new" system, and insists on
recompiling Apache, among other things. It also wants some things in
places where Debian doesn't put them.

Still, for an ongoing solution, it sounds good. The idea of having to
tweak postfix and apache by hand every time I had a user or website
would be a pain. I was figuring I'd have to write scripts to
semi-automate the processes.

There's also a possibility I can get this on Linux.com, instead of
hosting it on some site of mine. In which case, I'll have to go through
the whole process of learning all the packages, just to complete the
evolution.

Here's an idea: What if I installed ISPConfig, configured everything
using that, and then used the resultant config files for the various
packages as examples in learning how to manually configure them?
(Starting from scratch on each one of these is a bear.)

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster