Re: [SLUG] Newbie Sysadmin's Journal

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 09:24:46 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I've been doing Linux for ten years now, but there are certain gaps in
> my knowledge, just because I don't need to mess with certain parts of
> Linux.
>
> Long story short, I now have a need to learn how to build an internet
> web server from scratch. I've signed up with johncompanies.com for a
> virtual server account on which I can host other websites. The server
> "instance" I picked out is a Debian machine to which I have ssh access.
> Now I have to learn Bind, Apache, Postfix, iptables, and all the other
> stuff you have to know to run an internet hosting service.
>
> (Why johncompanies.com? They won the 2006 Linux Journal Best Hosting
> Company award. Decent pricing, knowledgeable tech support.)
>
> So I'm busy looking up things, reading books and man pages. And keeping
> track of what I do, so I don't forget later.
>
> My question is whether you might be interested in this as well. If so,
> I'll put up a page somewhere, so you can look over what I've found and
> learn some things yourself, or comment on where I've made mistakes. This
> won't be an every day thing. I'll contribute journal entries as I have
> time.
>
> Let me know if you're interested.
>
> Paul
I am interested.
I am also interested to help where I can as well.
I currently have a VPS running @ vpsland.com running all of the above.

It would help to focus on saving memory. For example, lighttpd
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighttpd) instead of Apache. I used it
currently to run squirrelmail which is php based webmail. Works fast
and flawlessly.

You will also want to set up amavisd-new and clamav for spam\virus
filtering for postfix.

I find these perfect setup guides as they are very intuitive.
Here is one for Debian Etch (which I see is what johncompanies is offering)

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch?s=04090aedb4a47b9ba3407539be6ad4e5&

{
Here is a synopsis:

This tutorial shows how to set up a Debian Etch (Debian 4.0) based
server that offers all services needed by ISPs and hosters: Apache web
server (SSL-capable), Postfix mail server with SMTP-AUTH and TLS, BIND
DNS server, Proftpd FTP server, MySQL server, Courier POP3/IMAP, Quota,
Firewall, etc. This tutorial is written for the 32-bit version of Debian
Etch, but should apply to the 64-bit version with very little
modifications as well.

I will use the following software:

Web Server: Apache 2.2
Database Server: MySQL 5.0
Mail Server: Postfix
DNS Server: BIND9
FTP Server: proftpd
POP3/IMAP: I will use Maildir format and therefore install
Courier-POP3/Courier-IMAP.
Webalizer for web site statistics
In the end you should have a system that works reliably, and if you like
you can install the free webhosting control panel ISPConfig (i.e.,
ISPConfig runs on it out of the box).
}