Re: [SLUG] DVD iso - Help

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2007 - 01:52:21 EDT

SOTL wrote:
> Late but late is better than never.
>
> Thanks Robin
>
> Update to this I can burn CD from two different operating systems in this
> computer. Others I do not know about as I have not set the burner up in them.
>
> For those of you who do not know, care, or recall this computer is set up with
> drawers, you get them at CompUSA, with one HD in each drawer. Each HD has a
> different operating system on it. The initial idea some 6 years back was to
> test which operating system worked in my applications best with out working
> with the AT THAT TIME primitive VA system program. Now I would set this up
> different and will do so when the mother board is replaced as there is now
> other issues of compatable with the latest hardware.
>
> All that is well and good but this still does not solve the initial issue so I
> suppose a different approach is required.
>
> General: Can an iso be downloaded to the computer and then can the iso be made
> to run installing a new distribution.
>
> In particular the computer is set up as:
> hda1 = /boot
> hda2 = /home
> hda3 = swap
> hda4 = extended
> hda5 = /home
> hda6 = /home/trunk/Data
>
> If I down load a Mandriva iso to /home/trunk/Data is there any way I can boot
> directly into the Mandriva iso and use that configuration to install
> Mandriva?

No, because for one thing, the /home partition isn't mounted immediately
on startup. Another reason is that your boot loader doesn't understand
ISOs. It wants files on a partition.

> If this is not possible is there any other way without a network that I can
> install from an iso with out spending money say $100 for a USB memory stick
> or burning a DVD?

Whatever your BIOS can boot from can contain your boot loader files. If
you could properly arrange the files on a stick and get your BIOS to
boot from it, then fine. Your BIOS knows how to mount and read a CDROM,
which is why an ISO installed on it can be used to boot your OS. And
that is the simplest course of action. You might consider buying a
distro on CD from a place like CheapBytes for a few bucks and loading
from that. Caution: most distros these days are so large that they
aren't distributed on CD, but on DVD instead. Naturally, if you buy a
distro on DVD, you must have a DVD drive in your computer to run/boot it.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster