Re: [SLUG] DVD iso - Help

From: SOTL (sotl155360@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 18:01:19 EDT

Late but late is better than never.

Thanks Robin

Update to this I can burn CD from two different operating systems in this
computer. Others I do not know about as I have not set the burner up in them.

For those of you who do not know, care, or recall this computer is set up with
drawers, you get them at CompUSA, with one HD in each drawer. Each HD has a
different operating system on it. The initial idea some 6 years back was to
test which operating system worked in my applications best with out working
with the AT THAT TIME primitive VA system program. Now I would set this up
different and will do so when the mother board is replaced as there is now
other issues of compatable with the latest hardware.

All that is well and good but this still does not solve the initial issue so I
suppose a different approach is required.

General: Can an iso be downloaded to the computer and then can the iso be made
to run installing a new distribution.

In particular the computer is set up as:
hda1 = /boot
hda2 = /home
hda3 = swap
hda4 = extended
hda5 = /home
hda6 = /home/trunk/Data

If I down load a Mandriva iso to /home/trunk/Data is there any way I can boot
directly into the Mandriva iso and use that configuration to install
Mandriva?

If this is not possible is there any other way without a network that I can
install from an iso with out spending money say $100 for a USB memory stick
or burning a DVD?

Thanks

SOTL