[SLUG] distro recommendations

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 15:43:03 EDT

Hey.I'll be getting use of a dinky computer (physically dinky, that is) for
my grandmother. I'm not sure of the specs, but here are my best guesses:

Celeron 450
DVD reader
30? GB HD
FD
maybe 500 MB RAM
no idea what ports, other than PS2, parallel, USB
whatever monitor we can grab, probably a 17 incher, whatever that is in
pixels

What distro would be easiest for a complete neophyte (I'm talking 12:00
flasher here) to use? I don't want her to even attempt anything but email,
web, and maybe showing downloaded/mailed media. It definitely can't provide
easy access from Jane User to the root account. Ease of administration
isn't really a big deal; I'll set it up, and fix whatever breaks, but if I
change anything I'll never hear the end of it.

The machine has Windows 98 (SE most likely) on it now. While that's
suffered remarkably little bit-rot (as far as Windows goes), I'd like
something

- less buggy
- remotely administrable
- pretty well virus proof
- approaching modern
- that I have respect for
- that probably won't run the crap others bring to it

If I get a wild hair, I may set her up with OO and a printer one of these
days...

--
A well-lovd and corrctly traind domstc cnine is gnrlly slobbry, excitbl,
noisy, scatologically obsessed, xenophobic, pathetically unjudgmental,