Re: [SLUG] distro recommendations

From: Michael Fisher (desnotes@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 17:57:51 EDT

I would recommend a distro that is a LiveCD that can be tried out and then
installed. I have been doing research for a FOSS project and have been
looking at a lot of small, fast distros that would work on older, slower
computers. Here is a short list of recommendations:

Austrumi - Fast, professional-looking, runs well as LiveCD and also
installed. New version recently came out.

Damn Small Linux (DSL) - Small, innovative, fast and has the option of
adding applications even in the LiveCD version. Looks like more of a
developer version but function is reliable.

Puppy - Another good distro especially made for LiveCd and slower computers.
Haven't used it in awhile but heard there was a new released version.

SLAX - Based on Slackware, it is professional looking and runs well as
LiveCD. I have never installed it but if I was looking for a distro to meet
the needs of an older machine, I would definitely consider it.

I am sure there are others and I don't want to slight any distros that I did
not mention. These are just some I have had some experience with.

desNotes (Mike Fisher)
desNotes@gmail.com