Re: [SLUG] printer

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 21:55:59 EDT

Eben King wrote:
> Does anyone have a lead on a halfway decent dot-matrix printer? Used is
> dandy, as it's apt to be much cheaper.

I use an Epson LQ 570e to print thousands of labels for mailings. It has
held up remarkably well, and works under Linux. It's a 24 pin
letter-size carriage printer (as opposed to a 132 column printer).

I would *not* recommend the Okidata 320 Turbo printer. Back before the
Turbo model, they were built like tanks and lasted forever. But the
Turbo models had plastic gear replacements and the heads wore out *way*
too fast. I owned several in a short span of time, and had service guys
tell me the Turbos were crap while the 320 (no longer available) was great.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster