Re: [SLUG] Idea for LUG

From: ronan (ronan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 05:46:16 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> Folks:
>
> David Meyer mentioned something to me a while back that seemed like a
> good idea, but might not work too well because we're not incorporated
> as a non-profit. However, it got me thinking, and I thought of a twist
> on it.
>
> His original idea was to solicit area businesses for their old
> computers (instead of them dumping them in dumpsters), put Linux on
> them, and then donate them to schools, etc. The advantage to
> businesses would be a tax write-off by donating them to a non-profit
> organization.
Since his original idea would require us to find a school in which to
eventually set-up the computers, we could make it work just by changing
the order of operations:

1. We find a school willing to work with us, and willing to let us
set-up a lab using old machines.
2. We find businesses willing to donate machines, for a tax write-off.
3. The businesses donate the machines directly to the school, and get a
receipt for the IRS.
4. We rehab the machines, either at the school site, or we take them
away from the school to perform the rehab, but the machines already
belong to the school.
5. We set-up the lab.

The real twist here is that we have to find the school first, instead of
last.

--ronan