Re: [SLUG] dead or Alive

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 00:01:21 EDT

michael hast wrote:

> Pete Theisen wrote:

<snip>

>> You are a HOT prospect for a window AC unit, in addition to the
>> central air. We just got one in our office, helps a lot.
>>
> You know, the wife and I have talked about just that. The down-side to
> that is that the room has only one window and it's on the front of the
> house. As if that weren't already bad enough, it's a window-seat and
> the most prevalent window on the front side of the house. I've been
> trying to find an alternative so I don't have to sacrifice so much form
> for the function. I wonder if I could install one of those motel-room
> units just under the window and plant a hedge or something in front of
> the house...

I had a similar problem in my home office. Even with the A/C, this
converted carport with a flat, uninsulated roof *cooks*. So I finally
bought a very small window unit. Works fine. A whole lot better than
those behemoths I remember from when I was a kid. Has a thermostat that
cuts it off when it reaches the set temperature, fan-only option, etc.

However, to your problem, we found they also have in-room/stand-up
units. The only catch with them is that they have to be vented outside.
I'm not clear on the specifics, but it's not as drastic as having the
butt-end of a window unit sitting out the window. You might investigate
that, and see if maybe you could just pierce your outside wall below a
hedge to handle the venting.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster