Re: [SLUG] dead or Alive

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2007 - 00:51:16 EDT

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Paul M Foster wrote:

> michael hast wrote:
>
>> Pete Theisen wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> You are a HOT prospect for a window AC unit, in addition to the central
>>> air. We just got one in our office, helps a lot.
>>>
>> You know, the wife and I have talked about just that. The down-side to
>> that is that the room has only one window and it's on the front of the
>> house. As if that weren't already bad enough, it's a window-seat and the
>> most prevalent window on the front side of the house. I've been trying to
>> find an alternative so I don't have to sacrifice so much form for the
>> function. I wonder if I could install one of those motel-room units just
>> under the window and plant a hedge or something in front of the house...
>
> However, to your problem, we found they also have in-room/stand-up units. The
> only catch with them is that they have to be vented outside. I'm not clear on
> the specifics, but it's not as drastic as having the butt-end of a window
> unit sitting out the window. You might investigate that, and see if maybe you
> could just pierce your outside wall below a hedge to handle the venting.

You'd think there would be something structured like a central cooling
system, but the size of an in-window AC, where it'd consist of a
microwave-size-or-smaller unit that goes in the room to be cooled, connected
by coolant hoses to a unit outside that would cool the fluid in the hoses.
But I've never heard of one.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except