[SLUG] exiv2 - Exif/IPTC metadata manipulation tool

From: Robin - Bartow FL (suncoastlug.mailbox@gibp.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 09:43:43 EDT

The pictures on my wife's camera phone (Exif data) is +4 hours.
The file modification time is according to when it was uploaded from her phone to a web server.
Uploading to a web server modifies the file names.
The file names are changed from the cell phone manufacturer's naming scheme to a differing phone service provider naming scheme, and they are not even sequential.
What a mess.

I spent 15 minutes on the phone with my cell phone provider.
The tech guy asked, "Is that a problem?"
I replied, "Only when you want to record what happened when".
I was put on hold, and then disconnected a couple minutes later.

exiv2 to the rescue...

Step #1 substract 4 hours from create time

exiv2 -a -04 ad *.jpg

Step #2 sync creation time to file modification date and file name

exiv2 -T rename *.jpg

Exif creation date is now correct.
Pictures are renamed in more meaningful "YearMonthDay_HourMinuteSecond.jpg" format.
Subsequent color/brightness/etc adjustments, only effect the file time stamp.

/robin