[SLUG] AMD Athlon & MB Question

From: John Clay (jmedclay@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2007 - 23:00:07 EDT

It's years past time for a new Motherboard & Processor
and I'm interested in switching to the Athlon. Are
there any things in particular I ought to be aware of,
any tips or cautions?

I don't want to be anywhere near the bleeding hardware
edge, rather in the high performance/price sweet spot
and these items look interesting. I'm coming from PII
world. Seem reasonable? I use Slack, Mandrake and am
fooling around with Edubuntu (for the ltsp stuff).

GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX
AMD

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache
Socket AM2 Processor

Thanks for any insight.
John Clay

that gives answers, not web links.