Re: [SLUG] AMD Athlon & MB Question

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 08:15:19 EDT

John Clay wrote:
> It's years past time for a new Motherboard & Processor
> and I'm interested in switching to the Athlon. Are
> there any things in particular I ought to be aware of,
> any tips or cautions?
>
> I don't want to be anywhere near the bleeding hardware
> edge, rather in the high performance/price sweet spot
> and these items look interesting. I'm coming from PII
> world. Seem reasonable? I use Slack, Mandrake and am
> fooling around with Edubuntu (for the ltsp stuff).
>
> GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX
> AMD
>
> AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Orleans 2.2GHz 512KB L2 Cache
> Socket AM2 Processor
>
> Thanks for any insight.
> John Clay

It's all about how much you want to spend :)
I just picked this up from newegg for $494:
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ (4-4-4-15)
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

I switched back to Intel after being in a relationship with AMD since
the K62-450 days. The Intel Conroe is better in every way especially
heat. I also with the above parts I changed the memory multiplier to 2.0
and upped the FSB to 445, walla 3.5Ghz without breaking a sweat and on
the first try. Prime95 stable for 24 hours during burn in.

This is the high/performance sweetspot :)