RE: [SLUG] Linux Virtual Organ

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 06:31:15 EDT

PT >>> Are there any motherboards that can take 8 gig, can accept perhaps 4
MIDI inputs, interface with three touch screens and have a slot or two left
over for a killer sound card or two? Oh, yeah, it needs network to get its
Linux software, too.

Most PC motherboards are limited to 4GB RAM. You'll need a server-class or
workstation-class motherboard to get above that.

As an example, look at the Intel S975xbx2 motherboard. Takes 8 GB RAM.
You'll depend on the sound board for MIDI. This is a low-end workstation
board. It's about $200. I suspect you'll need two graphics boards to
support three touch screens, so watch out for the number of slots, since
most boards that take above 4GB RAM are server boards that don't support
dual graphics cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121088

At work, I use a HP XW workstation that holds 16 GB RAM. It is an
outstanding computer, and if you don't want to build one, you can't go wrong
with the XW. Another option is Apple's Mac Pro. It also uses a
workstation-class chip set.

Ken Elliott