Re: [SLUG] SuSE 9.2 to OpenSuSE 10.x

From: Robert Waldo (rjw6844@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2007 - 08:45:46 EDT

The original problem is that there is no sound on the system Suse 9.2. When
we try to update thru Yast, it looks for a mirror to update from but, we get
a 404 error: site doesn't exist or not found. When I manually look for the
directory, for each of the mirrors, the directories no longer exist. This
leads me to believe Suse 9.2 is no longer supported.
I am not sure what type of architecture the sound card is, there's no
stickers on it telling me if it is Cmedia, Via, or etc and it is not
detected. It may be non functional for all I know.
I would rather troubleshoot on an up to date system.
Since this is not my computer, I will most likely recommend doing a complete
os reinstall with something easier to use out-of-the-box like Ubuntu.
The reason for my question was that I have media already for OpenSuse
10.1and I was wondering if anyone within Slug world has made the huge
jump from
9.2 to 10.1 or beyond with any degree of success.
By the way, I am doing this for a lady who contacted the SLUG website and
found my name on the list of people who are willing to help. I solved two
of her three problems - 1. an annoying automatic dialer for a server to
database project and 2. showed her how to back up her system thru YaST.