Re: [SLUG] SuSE 9.2 to OpenSuSE 10.x

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2007 - 22:25:56 EDT

On Saturday 15 September 2007 08:45, Robert Waldo wrote:
> The original problem is that there is no sound on the system Suse 9.2.

Is that the only problem with the 9.2 system?

> When we try to update thru Yast, it looks for a mirror to update from but,
> we get a 404 error: site doesn't exist or not found. When I manually look
> for the directory, for each of the mirrors, the directories no longer
> exist. This leads me to believe Suse 9.2 is no longer supported.

9.2 is No Longer supported. There are repos out there that still have 9.2
stuff on them. I think they are called old or something. Never used them so
not sure where to find them. Google should be able to find them for you.

> I am not sure what type of architecture the sound card is, there's no
> stickers on it telling me if it is Cmedia, Via, or etc and it is not
> detected. It may be non functional for all I know.

An on-board chip? Maybe it died. Sound cards are cheap. Might pay to get a PCI
card, but it IS time to upgrade.

> I would rather troubleshoot on an up to date system.
> Since this is not my computer, I will most likely recommend doing a
> complete os reinstall with something easier to use out-of-the-box like
> Ubuntu.

I'm not sure that Ubuntu is any easier, but that is your call. You may go
through the trouble of installing a Ubuntu or a later Suse and still not have
any sound. As I said, sound cards are cheap. Fix it before you upgrade it.

> The reason for my question was that I have media already for
> OpenSuse 10.1and I was wondering if anyone within Slug world has made the
> huge jump from 9.2 to 10.1 or beyond with any degree of success.

I have tried in the earlier release and ended up with a working but really
flaky system. I wouldn't reccomend it. That is a "huge" jump. Lots of changes
from 9.2 to 10.1 I would say a new install. Save her /home and any other
important stuff and put it in the new distro.

> By the way, I am doing this for a lady who contacted the SLUG website and
> found my name on the list of people who are willing to help. I solved two
> of her three problems - 1. an annoying automatic dialer for a server to
> database project and 2. showed her how to back up her system thru YaST.

 Bob S.